- Develop the main characters, and define the relationships between them.
- Think of the events that will occur in your novel--both caused by the characters and happening on their own; think of what will your main and secondary characters do, and how they will react/respond to what is going on around them.
- Develop a general plan for your novel; try to avoid “filler” chapters. Each chapter should serve the purpose of moving the plot forward.
- Develop a separate plan (not necessarily a detailed one) for each of the chapters. This way you will always know what to write about.
- Set a schedule for yourself. Yes, you don’t need inspiration to write, only discipline.
- Stick to the schedule by all means.