Evaluation Essay Samples
Apart from critics that link beer commercials (mainly dominated by the male gender) and sexuality, there has been a widespread critique about beer advertisements and televised sports. With the intended nature of sports being to promote healthy and active lives, it is damaging that such activity is paired with beer advertisements. These ads therefor present detrimental effects, especially for young men, as they introduce and connect the act of drinking an addictive substance with sporting events. Alcoholic drinks such as…
The Increasing Influence of the Economy of China as a Contemporary Economical Giant The economic history of the first half of the 21st century shows how China is changing the global economy. These changes have many advantages: there are millions of new consumers who promote global growth, and there are new opportunities for entrepreneurs, increasing demand for almost everything—from American corn to Australian iron ore. But not all effects are considered positive. Low-skilled workers in the West are facing painful…
How to Use Evaluation Essay Samples on Practice
The aim of academic writing is not only to prepare people for certain professions, but also to teach students how to think and use their own knowledge at work and everyday life. To be a well-educated person, it is not enough to stuff your brain with facts and information. You should develop critical thinking skills and be able to use them at any time needed. In this article we will address the criteria of good evaluation essay samples and explain the main point you should consider in your evaluative writing.
What Is an Evaluation Essay?
Evaluation essays are judgments about issues, events, performances, etc. The author of an evaluation essay should consider both sides of the topic: factors that support, oppose, and any that fall between. Generally speaking, if an evaluation topic is not about the evaluation of the financial state of an enterprise where you need to use certain formulas, you should demonstrate an unbiased opinion about the subject.
The main difference between descriptive and evaluative writing is that the former is aimed at presenting and observing the subject matter, while the latter discusses the critical approach to the subject matter. Also, one of the main characteristics of an evaluation essay is presenting specific criteria that help to evaluate the subject more deeply.
For example, the assignment may ask you to evaluate, criticize, or discuss a certain issue. It is a normal practice that you might be asked to do both – for example, evaluate and discuss the principles of social norms of education in China.
In your essay you will need to present some sort of criteria. If you will be evaluating a movie, you will consider such criteria like actor performance, the scenario, the director’s work, soundtrack, etc. An evaluation essay usually requires specific standards that you expect from a movie.
Another kind of evaluation essay is a self evaluation essay, which makes you critically think about your experience at work, college, or particular course. These essays usually ask students to reflect on their progress as professionals and make an outside perspective on their achievements. This essay will help you reflect on your work progress, remind your professor about what kind of student you are, and will remind you about your experience and analyze the way you have done it. To understand what your teacher wants to see in your essay, check a self evaluation sample essay on our site or on other resources.
How to Pick a Topic for an Evaluation Essay
It is obvious that a good topic can help create an outstanding essay, and a poor topic will doom your essay to failure. The topic that you will pick for an evaluation essay will either help you to earn a good grade or just make your life more complicated. The first thing that the tutor reads is your title, and you need to find a strong and narrowed topic that adequately represents your text. Even if your text will be great, a poor title can disappoint your tutor. So, to increase your chances to receive the best marks, you need to pay a great deal of attention to the title.
Before you will be able to choose a topic, make sure that it is relevant and not overused. But sometimes it happens that a student picks a topic that has been used by students every year and presents it from a new, unique point of view. And if you feel strongly in a popular topic and have your unique point of view, take a risk and choose it.
When you are looking for a good topic for an evaluation essay, you can get lost in this variety of possible options. An evaluation essay can be written on various topics that refer to:
Evaluate an economic situation in a certain country.
Evaluate marketing strategies of two businesses.
Evaluate the political system in certain country.
- Social life.
Evaluate peculiarities of real-life and online relationships.
Evaluate the role of computers for teenagers.
- Everyday matters.
Evaluate the products you eat every day.
Evaluate the effectiveness of new iPhone.
Evaluate the difference between single-gender schools and mixed-gender schools.
Evaluate the ending of the “Harry Potter” series of books.
Evaluate the influence of chips on health.
- Movie (or performance, concert).
Evaluate the last premier movie that you have seen recently.
- Food and restaurants.
Evaluate the quality of dishes in a Chinese restaurant.
Evaluate the experience of visiting a sport match.
Note: If you were given an opportunity to pick any topic you want, don’t fall into choosing the most awkward topic. Consider your audience and make a list of subjects which they can be interested in. Then underline the ones most relevant and interesting to you.
When it comes time to find a good topic for an evaluation essay, you may find all your ideas too simple and ordinary. However, it’s not much trouble when you have a connection to the internet where you can find original topics, samples, and ideas for your evaluation essay. The following list can give you some ideas where you can find a really interesting topic for your evaluative essay. All these recommendations are used by students all over the world and they really work – just try them out!
Choose a topic from a critical evaluation essay sample. One of the greatest solutions that you need to try is finding finished papers. Over the internet you can find lots of sample evaluation essays written on various topics. You need to realize that when you have the possibility not only to read the title, but also to read the context of the paper, you will have a better perspective on the topic. There is no need to pick the same topic as the author; you can brainstorm around the topic and come up with one that is more interesting and unique. Also, when you read a completed work, your work on your own essay will go faster.
Search for topic suggestion lists over the internet. Perhaps you have already tried this option, but if not, try it right now. Many sites give lists of possible evaluation essay topics that you can choose for your essay.
Ask your tutor for help. In any case, there is nothing wrong with asking your tutor for help. Discuss your ideas, and ask questions and recommendations to overcome your challenges. If you haven’t received a recommendation for a topic in your assignment and you have troubles with choosing the most suitable one, ask your tutor for a meeting or go to the writing center to ask help from professionals.
When you will find a good idea, narrow it down to be able to cover the word limit. Too broad a topic can influence the quality of your evaluation essay and will directly affect your score. Even if you have picked a standard topic, find a unique perspective and make your essay stand out.
Some Words About Evaluation Essay Structure
Writing an effective and interesting evaluation overview is one of the cornerstones of being an academic writer. Before you start writing an evaluation essay you will need some preparatory work, such as conducting research, finding information about the topic, thinking about the ideas that you want to highlight in your work, and structuring it into an outline. The final product of conducting these activities will be a good evaluation essay. However, the key feature that forms an evaluation essay is the writer’s ability to focus the essay around a central claim and arguments. This hallmark distinguishes an evaluative essay from a descriptive one.
In essence, the plan of an evaluative essay is a brief description of its logical structure, which includes the main and minor questions that should be discussed in the essay. Therefore, it is necessary to clearly identify the main sections, define subdivisions, and divide it into other smaller parts.
The structure of an evaluation essay follows a traditional essay structure. It can be transformed according to the required word count and topic. A classical evaluation essay will have an introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. The following is a list of essential steps that should be considered while writing an evaluation essay:
- First, you need to make an eye-catching title that will correctly convey the main idea of the essay and indicate the evaluative approach to the subject matter.
- Write an interesting introduction that draws readers’ attention and presents basic information about the topic, then slowly proceeds to the thesis statement and directs the audience to the author’s focus.
- Think about what you will be writing in the body paragraphs. Keep in mind that it should be unified and focused. Organize your thoughts in logical and easy-to-understand paragraphs. Each paragraph should discuss one particular point.
- Keep in mind that one paragraph can describe the subject and the next paragraph evaluate it. Another option is to describe and evaluate a subject in one single paragraph. Try to use relevant details, supporting arguments, and specific evaluations of the details.
- Organize your text depending upon a certain pattern. For example, the structure of your evaluative essay can be designed in point-by-point (for a music review), chronological (evaluating a historical event), spatial (evaluating a work of art), or sequential order (to evaluate the effectiveness of a procedure).
- Write a conclusion that will provide a clear sense of closure and remind the reader of the main point. A good conclusion establishes the overall significance of the essay.
- Look through the final draft and correct all obvious mistakes. Organize engaging topic sentences and clear transitions between paragraphs. Also, check whether the text corresponds with your tutor’s requirements. The best option is to take another pair of eyes – ask your friend or anyone you trust to read your paper and make some remarks.
- Properly organize citations and make sure that they are correctly used.
Tips to Consider
When learning how to write an evaluation essay sample, along with general guidelines, you will need to consider the following tips.
- Keep in mind that the main purpose of this essay is not to inform the reader about a certain topic or issue, but to critically evaluate it.
- Pay attention to the word count. Make sure that your topic is good enough to be able to cover the topic completely within the word limit. If your topic is too broad, it will be a challenge to cover all information; a topic too narrow will require from you additional research to produce the required number of words.
- If you want to write an evaluation essay about a certain performance or concert that you have already visited, make sure that you will have a possibility to revisit it and see it one more time. For example, if you visited a great concert a year ago, you won’t remember all the details. To create a good evaluation paper you will need a more profound approach towards the subject matter.
- You should discuss the topic regarding a certain list of criteria and evaluate the subject according to this list. Describe it in detail so the reader can understand what was expected.
- Don’t forget to express your judgment about the topic. Reveal whether the subject met the criteria or not.
- Support your claims with evidence. Without evidence your evaluation essay will transform into simple opinion about the subject. If you are going to say that the pasta you have tasted in an Italian restaurant was awful, you need to explain why. What was wrong with it? Was the plate broken? Or did you find a hair in it?
- Practice a lot. A good evaluation essay cannot come without practice. You can practice critical evaluation when you watch TV shows or read the news. Try to write your thoughts down in your notebook.
- Read examples of evaluation essays. When you read an article or watch a movie, read an evaluation essay sample that shows a good example of evaluation criticism. You can study those examples and consider criteria that the author has used. Incorporate those strategies in your further writing and it will improve your writing skills.
- Ask your tutor or go to the writing center to receive answers to your questions. Also you can check guidelines that describe how to write an evaluation essay.
And don’t stress! You have just read a list of tips that can help you write an evaluation essay, but if you still have questions, make sure that you have read our sample essays that you can find here on AnswerShark.
Where to Find an Evaluation Essay Sample
There are two main reasons why students are searching for essay samples. First, students need to know what to write for a particular topic. Second, after reading several guides and instructions, they still need a clear example of an evaluation essay. Generally speaking, they need to see how to present the content in the right way. In the following text you can find some sources where you can find more samples for your evaluation essay.
College website. If you are lucky enough, some college websites have a collection of essay samples that can be accessed with your student ID. This means that those essays are authentic and were approved by tutors. Such samples are really good and should be followed, as they were written in accordance with college requirements.
Teacher’s webpage. Yes, many teachers have their own blogs or webpages where they place the information about the course, the best essay samples, and other necessary information about the classes. Maybe your tutor has no time for a blog, but don’t despair and check other sources!
AnswerShark. On our site you can find not only complete writing guides for any type of essay, but also lists of topics and professionally written samples on various topics. Among them you can find complete essays, examples of introductions, or just incomplete parts of essays. The site posts lots of detailed evaluation examples that were completed by expert writers and are free of charge.
Writing service websites. If you know some reliable websites that are dedicated to writing assignments for money, it’s a good place to search for free essay samples. These kinds of services hire professional writers that create essays for students and know well how academic essays should look. Many services place essays in open access for their potential customers, so don’t skip a chance to read several before making an order.
Websites with samples. With the help of your search engine you can find a list of sites dedicated to essay samples. Usually those sites have different categories for each subject, so you need to choose the needed category and read those samples that you need. But consider the fact that to read full versions of high-quality essays you need to pay for them. However, if you need only a general idea about the essay structure, free samples will also work for you.
Books. On Amazon and other sources you can find a wide range of books that contain hundreds of essay samples. Some of them have really helpful comments and rich context. Also you can check books about essay writing, and you can also find helpful samples there. If you don’t want to buy books or dig the internet to find a free copy, you can check your school or college library to get a copy.
Blogs. There are many people who are theater or movie fans. You can find some blogs of those enthusiasts with critical articles. Consider the fact that all those reviews express only someone’s opinion and don’t meet university requirements. This will be helpful when you can’t find inspiration or can’t decide what side to choose.
All the listed resources will be helpful in writing your evaluation essay, but be careful. No one can guarantee that the essay sample format and style can be applied to your essay. Every educational institution has its own recommendations for writing essays, and you should give preference to your tutor’s requirements.
Also we recommend our readers to check the source they are viewing. Make sure that it is not a one-day site with samples written by inexperienced writers. It will be better to find sites where you can find the date of publication and decide whether the information in the samples is relevant and up to date.
How to Use Our Evaluation Essay Samples
We should advise you to do some brainstorming about your topic before reading our samples. You should conduct some research and have some of your own ideas before you will be ready to immerse yourself in other people’s ideas. Both brainstorming and reading samples can boost your writing. When you see how other people approach the same issue you can jot down your own writing process.
You can use our samples to think about other approaches to the topic, and pick something new for your own essay in the following ways:
- Learn new terms and phrases. This can help you develop your own style of writing and make your text look more smooth. Also, you can focus on particular details that can be applied to your own writing.
- Change you point of view (or reinforce your own with additional details). When you have an opportunity to read texts written by other writers you can find interesting and opposing views that don’t fit your current viewpoint. A fresh insight on the problem can equally convince you in another point of view or help you find more convincing expressions for your side.
- Find different ways to start or end your essay. The most difficult parts of an essay are the introduction and conclusion. In the introduction you need to find catchy phrases that will persuade the reader not to stop reading the text. The conclusion requires the writer to find the right way to say goodbye to the reader and leave him or her with a feeling of understanding of the issue and your point of view. Samples will give you the right representation of how good introductions look.
For example, let’s say you want to evaluate a restaurant, but you have never written this kind of essay. The best option will be to find a good restaurant evaluation essay sample. As there are certain peculiarities that should be considered, a sample essay will help you create a balanced review and consider all necessary details.
When you are surrounded with great works that you can follow, you have enough temptations to go the wrong way. While you have so many benefits from reading essay samples, you need to know what you should avoid.
Plagiarism. When your deadlines are running out and you still have to write a couple of essays and some homework, it is easy to start thinking about copying a sample. You need to understand that when you will submit such essay to your tutor, there will be no turning back. Unfortunately, today’s plagiarism detection programs at colleges and universities may consider this text as plagiarism with a high probability. So, if you don’t want to have problems with your tutor, write the essay by yourself.
Mimicry. It is not a crime if you want to borrow someone’s ideas or style. But you should understand that in this perspective you need to form your own style. Especially if you are copying some unique thoughts or information, it should be properly cited. You can be interested in why it is so important. As you can see, essays help you form your writing skills, expand the worldview and your analytical skills. To become a great researcher and simply a thoughtful person, you need to practice a lot. That’s why in any circumstance you need to have your own point of view and be able to support it with the right words.
Why You Need to Read Our Evaluation Paper Sample
There is a list of reasons why students want to check how other people have written evaluation essays.
First, you will be able to compare your writing with the techniques that other people use while writing the essay. You can check tone, voice, word order, transitional phrases, terms, points of view, and other moments that distinguish quality writing from poor writing.
Second, find out how people cover the same or a similar topic. This will allow you to narrow down your topic (or expand) and get past the cliched topics. When you will see that the topic of love in Shakespeare poems has already been discussed in hundreds of essays, you will come up with something more unique and interesting.
Third, find out more criteria that you can consider in your evaluation essay. For example, if you need to evaluate the last movie that you have recently seen in a cinema, in a film evaluation essay sample you will find out that along with criteria that you have already picked, you can also consider suspense (something that keeps the audience in tension waiting for the denouement) and realism (for science fiction it may be inconsistency with the laws of science).
Finally, if you have a great topic to write about, you can find essential information from other essays. You can approach more ideas for how to approach a great topic in a new striking way.
We hope that our how-to-guides, samples, and topic lists will help you create a great evaluation essay. We wish you the best of luck!